Saturday, July 26, 2008

Not wet. Not Hump day.

So today I didn't go to Seoul and I did not walk in the rain anywhere. Because it was not raining, and I am going to Seoul tomorrow. Instead, I woke up at the crack of 11am and went to Yesan and read Sum of All Fears by Tom Clancy.

I know what you are thinking. You are thinking: "Why are you Robert, a English major, with a thousand pages of War and Peace which, by the way, you dragged half way around the world to read, staring at you, reading Tom Clancy?!" To this unvoiced question of yours I would like give this answer:



I am sorry for sounding like I was completely down and out last weekend. It generated a lot of concern. I mean I was kind of down and out. I mean who wouldn't be after trudging through the rain banjoless all day?

But I hate to think of myself as a whining problem finding person, especially when I am, so I have decided in light of a certain lack of used banjos, that I am going to just to have to make one. I have a pretty awful cheap electric guitar that I got at the flea market that had no banjos when I was trying to get one for the praise band. I have not played it in like four months but the neck is easily unattached and so I am going to take it and make a canjo of some sort with it. I am still looking for something to use for the drum, I can't seem to find any metal cookie tins, but some other options might be a shallow hand drum or tambourine, or a metal oil can. I am looking.

In other positive not feeling sorry for myself news, I am done with Story Tree! The Dark Haired Korean Goldilocks and the Three Bears turned out to be a hit, every five year old loves to trespassing, theft, destruction of property and squatting followed by three hungry angry bears chasing the culprit out of the house. It helped that I told it correctly too. The book's version really didn't have that punch of suspense when the bears come home. So the last couple of days have been Looney Tunes day on youtube.

Also last week I forgot to mention that I dropped by the juggling shop in Seoul and got three really comfortable nice looking professional juggling balls. Something I can actually perform with. They are the ones that are practically invisible in the video above.

Penultimately, my long, long, long, long long loooooooonnnnnng awaited black belt test is Monday! I am sure I will pass just fine. We actually did some one step sparring on friday. I was extremely excited about that. Hopefully we will do more. I will have pictures by the way.

Finally, today I managed to jog for five minutes three times with only five minutes of walking in between. It is the first time I have been able to do it. Monday I only managed the first five minutes. This is really cool because I am seeing some improvement.

7 comments:

mad4books said...

Happy reading! (Get back to _W&P_ asap...won't it be fun to say you finished that book during your year in Korea?)

Happy banjo/canjo-creating!

Congratulations on your Story Tree success! You're a regular Kim Christian Andersen.

Happy juggling!

Penultimately, good luck on your black belt test.

Finally, hats off to you on your fitness progress. I walked & ran on Thursday morning at 5:15, went to an aerobics class at the gym on Friday, and walked/ran in the neighborhood this morning before mowing the lawn. I'm trying to get fit, too!

Bill Young said...

Yea Rob- I know understand the canjo idea- what a hoot. I am proud you made it though Story Tree- that was a tough one. It was good to talk to you this morning though the reception was difficult to understand.

love MoM on your Dad's account

Msatoz said...

Dear Rob,

Personally, I like war and peace but it is rather like a 18 course dinner, with the Queen of England. Tom Clancy on the other hand is a good solid meat and potato dinner with friends and brewskis, ok for you milk, to go along with it.

As to your idea of a canjo...

You sir, are an idiot.

I read this to MY mom over the phone, She agrees with me.

You sir, are an idiot.

You have the chance to get a South Korean Banjo, something no one here would be able to have, and bring it home with you.

"Oh this, I got it in South Korea. Cool isn't it?"

Ok, perhaps not a babe magnet but the bragging rights alone would be worth it when you go to banjo or bluegrass music festivals.

You sir, are an idiot.

You would be able to have the joy of having your instrument with you for the last half of your stay there, an instrument that actually works!!! Out of tune 'canjo' no way to tune 'canjo' doesn't sound like a banjo 'canjo'!!! How often does it fall apart today 'canjo'?

And knowing how much you love playing the banjo, and how much people here love you and want you to be sane er, happy when you finally get back here. I.E. We Were Willing AND STILL ARE Ready to Put Up Money for you to get a good used or new banjo while you are there...

You sir, are an idiot.

Heather

Robert Young said...

Alright Heather you win. I just went through fifty pages of google images with the Korean word for banjo 벤조 and found in one of like five images with a actual banjo on it, a open back banjo for sale. I am going to talk to my masterful ordering things school principal tomorrow about ordering it for me. Donations will be accepted, just stick them in my account back home. It will probably be a couple of hundred bucks all told.

I still might make the canjo anyways if I can't sell that electric guitar.

Msatoz said...

Huzzah!

I'll talk to your mom about your bank account later today or Monday.

Heather

Robert Young said...

Oh and really why I am reading Tom Clancy instead of W&P is that Tolstoy doesn't nuke the super bowl.

Robert Young said...

It really all depends, on whether and how much I can get this open back banjo for.