Monday, January 21, 2008

Did someone say Kimshi?

Now the moment everyone who knows Robert has been waiting for! The great question of this whole experience, and basis for many a amused look and concerned comment:

What did Robert think of Kimshi?!

Cold, crunchy and extremely spicy. In case you don't know, or have trouble looking things up, Kimshi is the national dish of Korea. It is made with "rotted" cabbage, but really that is not as bad as it seems, because, well, cheese is made of spoiled milk. And it tasted fine. It helped that I did not know what it was when I tried it.

The other English teachers and I went to a Chinese Restaurant in town for lunch yesterday after church, and had sweet and sour pork. LOTS of sweet and sour pork, and some kind of not exactly egg roll, sliced turnips, and Kimshi. We ate with metal chopsticks, which was different, and a bit difficult, because, I am used to lighter wooden ones, and those kinda egg rolls were tricky to pick up without stabbing which is considered rude. I say "kinda egg rolls," because they were more wedged shaped then roll shaped though that is what they tasted like. Hmmm... good!

Speaking of food, they don't do ovens here. Everything is stove top. Everything. I asked and apparently you could if you searched, maybe find a toaster oven for half a paycheck or so, or even better a microwave/toaster oven combo. This negates half the recipes that were sent with me, especially the deserts. I am going to search the all knowing online world and see if I can't figure out how to make a passive oven somehow that I can stick on top of the stove.

Finally, I would like say it is snowing in a quite picturesque way, and looks nice outside my seventh floor apartment... especially from inside my seventh floor apartment. Thanks for the coat PaPa!

3 comments:

Bill Young said...

The Boy Scouts made pretty effective stoves for cooking over a campfire which is a s stove top as you can get. They wrapped a cardboard box inside and out in aluminum foil. I saw one troop cook a turkey this way. Check out the scouting sites for ideas.

Dad

Tmom said...

Robert you continue (as you have done all of your life) to amaze me. Love MOM

miri68 said...

Hey Robert, this is Leta's daughter, Miriam. I know for a fact that when I visited her with my boys she had an oven/stovetop. You might ask nicely if no one is using her apartment if you could visit once in a while and use her oven. Good luck!