Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Oven! huzzah!

It is snowing again and is now picturesque again after being mushy yesterday evening.

We acquired an oven. There are three other English teachers besides me at the moment. Beth and James Jamison, who are married and have a two year old Abby, and Micheal, my roommate. I found a easily build able stove oven, consisting of a cardboard box and foil online. I told James about it, and how intended to cook everything, and when we went to lunch in the cafeteria he showed me a toaster oven just sitting there not being used, but said unfortunately that it only went up to 250 degrees, and so couldn't use it to really bake anything. I took a closer look at it and found that it was 250 degrees Celsius not Fahrenheit. Which is plenty hot enough to cook just about anything that we would cook. I didn't make a pithy comment about James being a NASA scientist, because I was too excited about the oven... and I didn't think of it at the time.

We asked the lunch ladies if we could bring over stuff to cook in it sometime, and they said that we could actually take it and put it in our apartments, especially if we promised to make them cookies. We did. As soon as I convert my money today, I am going to the store to get stuff to make chocolate chip cookies.... and they are getting a lot!

2 comments:

Tmom said...

they have chocolate chips in Korea? if not if you can get cocoa use 1/2 cup instead. I t won't be chocolate chip but it will be chocolate.

Unknown said...

I too understand the joys of having an oven in Korea and China. That buildable one sounds interesting...

Kristy Fowler, who is a friend of (or classmate with) your dad told me I should look at your blog.

I hope you enjoy your time in Korea! I fell in love with it while living there for two years and then another two in the Korean part of China.